So where do you start being a Kenyan freelance writer?
Well, there are so many options for you. I will tell you the ones which have worked for me.
First of all we’ll look at the site from where you will get work fast. It will encourage you as a new Kenyan freelance writer. For more details on freelancing writing in Kenya, click here to check out this other post.
When starting out, I was afraid that anything involving making money online was a scam. I decided to later give it a try after being encouraged by a few friends
Well, it wasn’t a scam. I quit most of what I was doing for an online business. I started at Freelancer.com and later did an affiliate marketing course which has really helped me make it online. Note that I no longer recommend Freelancer.com as a site for long-term use because it pays peanuts.
A great alternative bidding site is Upwork.
Tips to Success in Bidding Sites
1. Create a good profile. Make sure you really sell the services that you offer.
2. Write an article. This must be original content. The most famous topics to write about include health, money and relationships. Make sure if you rewrite you don’t repeat 5 words in a row otherwise Copyscape Premium will detect it and no client will employ you. Make sure that this article has top notch content so that you can be using it as your sample. My advice is you don’t rewrite (reword an existing article), but rather do a proper, well-researched article.
3. Bid for jobs. Make sure you attach the above sample.
4. Satisfy the clients. You may start with low paying jobs but do your best with these clients. When you finish the projects and get good reviews you can easily get other better-paying clients. When you get to 6 reviews and above, the employers will be looking for you.
5. Go long term. Some clients will ask you to go long-term. It is good to take this option when they are paying well and in good time.
6. Look for other online options. It is always good to diversify. You can later grow from being a simple freelance writer/transcriber/VA etc to being a blogger, affiliate marketer or even an owner of big sites like Google, Amazon, AWeber etc. Never limit yourself.
As earlier stated, there are many other sites which can help you make money online as a Kenyan freelance writer. You can also earn well from direct clients who pay way more and value you more as a freelancer.